Project Stuff Archive

Treat Yo’self to a Victory Dinner!

It’s an LoL tradition to have a victory dinner after the release of our latest book. After Zelda, we went to an amazing Irish pub. EarthBound took us to both a great pizza place AND a southwestern themed place (yeah, we celebrated twice).

Now it’s time to celebrate This be book bad translation, video games! Where should we go?!

Final Fantasy IV: The Save File Maintenance Years

This week I’ve been doing some organization-related work for my upcoming book about Funky Fantasy IV. I’ve got an early chapter already mostly done but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t forgetting anything good/funny so I’ve been scouring through text files and jumping around in the game to get things I missed before.

It’s a bit of a hassle since FFIV/FFII don’t really have debug menus, so I’ve been relying on an old save file archive I put together for my FF4 comparison site. The problem is that I never really documented where each save file is so it’s always taken me 10+ minutes just to find a save file where I need it to be. So now I’m finally going through and documenting that stuff for future time savings.

Unfortunately it looks like one of my saves is missing entirely so I’ll have to play a good chunk of the game to re-create it. It’s also a bit of a hassle when using different save files on different versions of the game, as it means the characters’ names get messed up each time. But it’s a small hassle when I stop to realize I’m playing Final Fantasy IV for a career – kid me would be so shocked hear about this 😛

LoL Corner in the Fangamer Office

Tucked away in the corner of Fangamer’s photo studio / archive room is the Legends of Localization corner (in that cabinet).

It’s usually filled to the brim when we’re working on a big book project, but right now it’s pretty tame inside~

You can see there’s some leftover EarthBound stuff that I still need to return to their owners!

Vroom in the Buggy Sky

I’ve been playing through the Japanese version of “Vroom in the night sky” to screenshot all of the lines of text in the game. That means I have to spend a lot of time in levels racking up the points. In doing so, I’ve discovered a few funny bugs:

  • I clipped through the floor in the sunset beach level
  • Myself and the purple witch sometimes get stuck in the palm trees
  • The purple witch started bouncing up and down, and then got stuck when she landed on top of my head (pictured above)

Despite all the horrible reviews it’s gotten, this is one of my favorite games on the Switch~

FF6T Script Difference Checking

A distant goal is to create a script for my custom emulator project that will allow fans to play the Japanese Final Fantasy VI T-Edition hack in English. The hack is incredibly complex and thorny, enough that a full translation patch is considered to be impossible. Personally, I say it’s possible but just excessively work-intensive to do a patch. In any case, I started laying the groundwork for a non-patch translation project (which uses my custom emulator sidebar stuff as a base) a few weeks back but I needed to determine some info ahead of time in order to save myself a ton of work later.

First, the original FF6 script contained about 3000 lines of text. The FF6T script clearly has many more, and after doing the necessary reverse engineering, I learned that it’s around 4600 lines of text. Most of the original script was left intact, though, so I decided to run a comparison to see which of the original FF6 lines matched the FF6T lines. In these cases, since nothing was changed, I simply display the equivalent line from the SNES English translation. This alone will save me a lot of time – otherwise I’d be retranslating the entire original game from scratch (which has already been done to death) AND the entire new hack!

But I soon discovered that many of the changed lines simply had kana words changed into kanji – in other words, no meaning was changed. So I wanted to find a way to identify these lines too and avoid having to manually translate them. So I made a big HTML file of text lines that were different in FF6 and FF6T, which you can see here if you’re interested:

diffs

Using this file, I then manually made a list of the line #s that were essentially the same despite kanji differences. In all, about 440 original lines were changed, and adding in the number of completely brand new lines, I have about 1600 lines of text to translate. Oh man. That’s on top of all the other programming, enemy/item/spells/technique names, and whatever else I’m forgetting. But I think it’ll be worth it in the end… whenever that comes.

I’m currently using FF6T version 2.5 as a base, but it gets updated often enough that by the time I finish it’ll be beyond 3.0. Hopefully not TOO much will change between those versions, or we’ll just be stuck using 2.5.