We’re still struggling to come up with a title for the Funky Fantasy IV book. Mato got desperate and tried a random title generator…
- Machine Translation Is Your Worst Enemy. 6 Ways To Defeat It
- Machine Translation On A Budget: 6 Tips From The Great Depression
- 6 Things You Can Learn From Buddhist Monks About Machine Translation
- Marriage And Machine Translation Have More In Common Than You Think
- The Lesbian Secret Revealed: Machine Translation For Great Sex
- What Oprah Can Teach You About Machine Translation
- Create A Machine Translation A High School Bully Would Be Afraid Of
- Never Changing Machine Translation Will Eventually Destroy You
- One Word: Machine Translation
- Warning: Machine Translation
- Machine Translation May Not Exist!
We’re using some purposefully glitchy pics of Final Fantasy IV for added flair in our upcoming book. Here are a couple of neat glitch pics I took the other day!
The Funky Fantasy IV book is deep in crunch mode and there’s still so much to do before our early October deadline. In fact, we figured out a final page count only yesterday: 240 pages. In actuality it’s a little less, since some of those pages will get used by the legal info page and other stuff. Here’s where it all ends though:
I think that’s even longer than the first Zelda LoL book!
Progress on the Funky Fantasy 4 book is chuggin’ along. Here are some pics from today’s meeting:
Tony always prints and staples together the latest version of whatever book we’re working on. It really helps to envision the final product.
Zuuly butted in several times today seeking attention. She wanted to sleep in my chair, but I wasn’t budging.
We also ordered some gorp.
Mato & Tony have been hard at work writing and designing the Funky Fantasy 4 book these past few weeks. Here’s a peek at a page printed on our weird office printer that will definitely change by the time the book is finished:
We also need to figure out what to call this book. “Funky Fantasy IV” doesn’t get the point across very easily! D:
Ever since Mato & I streamed Funky Fantasy 4, people have been asking for a Funky Fantasy 6. Because Final Fantasy 6 uses kanji in its script, machine translations are pretty competent and a lot less entertaining. AI is still pretty far behind the skills of human translators, though.
As a test, Mato ran Final Fantasy 6’s script through Google Translate and I’m combing through it now trying to see if it would be worth streaming. I’m only a fifth of the way done (god it’s huge), but here are some funny lines I’ve found so far:
- “Okay, the thinking should be stopped [NEWLINE] with the power of the head brain. [NEWLINE]
- Actually, I met an example girl.
- Kefuka “Hey, shoes of sand!
- Tina “Oh … my brother? [NEWLINE] Wow, I … I guess it’s a big bear ….
- [NEWLINE] I do not have ears to hear …
- Kefuka “Hey Cuts!” [NEWLINE] I will definitely return this mulberry!
- Cayenne “Somebody does not exist [NEWLINE] It’s been a while!
- Rock “ぐ [PAUSE_60] ぐ ぐ ひ ひ ~
- Let me tell you how to chocobo!
- Cayenne “As I thought [NEWLINE] I was a credible woman!
- Even if the world got fucked up [NEWLINE], even with such a stone [NEWLINE] ginger noodle …
The funny lines are few and far between, unfortunately! Not sure if we’ll stream this, but I’ll continue to post more funny goofs as I scrub through the script.
While putting the upcoming Funky Fantasy IV book together I keep discovering or rediscovering great lines. I’m almost tempted to do another stream of the game in the near future with cheats on so we can blast through the game in like two days. That way I can get screenshots of all this stuff I missed – it turns out when we streamed it last year I only took a few screenshots once in a while since I had no idea it would turn into a serious book project down the road. The book schedule is pretty tight as it is though so I dunno how doable a few stream days would be though.
I’ve been working on a lot of stuff this week even though it barely feels like it.
One good piece of news is that a Fangamer pal helped make the HTML of the new site design for the main LoL site. I’ve still got a lot of internal work to do to make it work with my custom WordPress coding so I don’t think the design will be up for a few months, but it’s good to see it coming together finally. The best thing is that it’s mobile-friendly and can resize automatically to fit different screen types / dimensions. Besides being super helpful for mobile readers, it’ll help with search engine ranking too, since mobile friendly plays a part in those crazy algorithms too.
The last few days Tony and I have been working on the base layout for the upcoming Funky Fantasy IV book. It’s coming along well but it’s still very early and will change a lot I’m sure. At the moment it looks like it’ll be in the area of 250-300 pages long. Here are some example layouts we experimented with earlier this week that are now outdated.
We’re already working on something different from those two samples. We’ve decided what kind of info we’ll continue to use, what kind of info we’ll drop (mostly the uninformative ones that sound like they’re from a bad TruTV show), and how we’ll arrange things. In the end it looks like it’s going to be a mix between our This be book bad translations, video games! book and our main Legends of Localization books.
It doesn’t look like much now but I can tell this is gonna be one of my favorite books I ever work on!