Now that press start to translate is out (buy it here!), I can share some of the alternate titles we considered. Mato wanted the title alone to make it immediately clear what the book is about, and also not explicitly reference Final Fantasy IV or Google Translate. Also, no negativity allowed. Some of the best/funniest ones were:
- Copy, Paste, Translate!
- The Surprising Results of a Translator that isn’t Human
- Cached in Translation
- This Book is About Basketball Enemas and Video Games
- Everything Went Wrong! What happens when you let a computer translate a video game
- Artificial Inelegance
- CPU Spoony Bard
- The Enema is Saying That You Should Not Wear a Basketball
- Why Your Next Favorite Game Probably Won’t Be Translated By A Computer
- Return the Bullshit! What happens when you let a computer translate a video game
- Rated M for Machine Translation
- Press Start to Translate (Nina gets the credit for saving our butts with this suggestion!)
- Press Start to Translate: Wait, Wait! Undo! Undo! (I really wanted this one)
- Let’s Machine Translation!
I even drew a terrible cover mockup of the title I liked the most:
Speaking of cover mockups, pretty soon I’ll share some mockups that Tony the Designer made before we went with the beautiful poorly-scanned copy of the game.